Forward email from MailEnable to another external server

Discussion forum for Enterprise Edition.

Forward email from MailEnable to another external server

Postby philipb » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Greetings-

WE are running ME ENterprise and have a couple of users that would like us to accept email for them either to wash spam and bugs formt he email or jsut act as a secondary MX should their server be unavailable.

We would like to accept email for the domain and then forward messages on to an external server- a store-and-forward arrangement.

Additionally we would like to store those messages for 60 days and then auto delete. The delete part I think is easy, but how do we forward the messages on to their internal Small Business Server in their office?

Thanks in advance!
philipb

Postby MailEnable-Ben » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:39 am

The feature you are looking for is the Smart Host feature. The settings can be found in the properties of the domain in ME Admin MMC. This feature will allow you to forward all messages to an external address or IP except for any addresses that exist in the mailboxes container for the same domain.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.
MailEnable-Ben

Postby philipb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:02 am

Thank you, but how do I get a local copy saved on the ME server AND the forward.

I have only been able to get local delivery or forward as a smart host but not both.

CLient would like to use us as a store-and-forward host. We would like to maintain mail for 12 months locally on the ME server. SHould the client server suffer a failure they would be able to access their email via the webmail interface and be able to send/receive email in a disaster recovery situation.

This seems like a do-able scenario but we are unable to figure out how to get it configured.

We are running the Enterprise version.

THank you,
philipb

Postby Elite IT » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 am

Were you able to find a way to do this with mail enable? I am looking to setup a store and forward server, but I am running into the same issues. I can get it to store a local copy but not forward, or just forward and not save a local copy.

The only workaround I've come up with so far would be to configure the mailbox on the ME server. Configure an individual forwarder for each address. So for example, mail comes in for user@domain.com, it saves a copy because it's a locally defined user, but then in the users redirection settings, set it to forward to user@backup.domain.com, which has an MX record that points to their primary server. This is do-able, but, depending on how many people you're going to be offering this to through your server, it could get to be a lot of administration on your side.
Elite IT
http://www.eliteitllc.com

Services Offered:

- Email and Web Hosting (Free 30 day trial)
- Email Continuity = 24/7/365 Access to your email!
- Online Data Backup (Free 30 day trial)
- Dedicated/VPS Servers
and much more...
Elite IT

Postby philipb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:26 am

Never figured out how to get local storage AND forwarded email to the final MX.

It would be awesome if this worked, but not sure how to make it work.
philipb

Postby Elite IT » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:55 am

Thank you for replying.

I have yet to get this to work with ME, but as an email hosting provider I have found another solution to the email continuity.

I offer email continuity services for both my email hosting clients, and clients that may have their own server. Here are the basic prices for the email continuity services if interested:

Currently the continuity service I offer only stores the emails on the backup server while the main server is offline. There is no way to set the increase the amount of time that the server holds the messages. It includes a web-based portal to access inbound messages and send new messages. Once the server is back online it forwards all inbound messages back down to the users inbox.

Also, if interested, I resell email spam/virus filtering services as well. You can contact us at anytime for updated pricing at info@eliteitllc.com
Elite IT
http://www.eliteitllc.com

Services Offered:

- Email and Web Hosting (Free 30 day trial)
- Email Continuity = 24/7/365 Access to your email!
- Online Data Backup (Free 30 day trial)
- Dedicated/VPS Servers
and much more...
Elite IT

Postby philipb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 am

We were hoping to store email for 12 months on the "front" server with webmail access. If the primary server went down at the customer site and they needed to reference previous emails, we thought the term of 12 months would be long enough to make sure that they had what they needed.

Could never get the server to keep a copy and forward a copy.
philipb

Postby MailEnable-Ben » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 am

You could set up the mail archiving feature in version 4 this will archive all messages in a mailbox folder under the date of delivery. This will keep the command file and the message file so at any time in the future you could manually place the files back into the queues and get them to be re routed to where ever the mailboxes are.
Regards,

Product Services
MailEnable Pty Ltd

To keep track of all ME company updates and version releases you should subscribe to the MailEnable list at http://www.mailenable.com or the RSS feed http://www.mailenable.com/rss.
MailEnable-Ben

Return to MailEnable Enterprise Edition