Greylisted/Greylisting Question

Discussion regarding the Standard version.

Greylisted/Greylisting Question

Postby BenVic » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 am

Hi,

I'm pretty new to email servers and setups etc but I have a question regarding an email I sent and greylisting. I got the following bounced back;

Code: Select all
Message is waiting at ********** for delivery to **********.

Message delivery has been delayed to the following recipients:
Recipient: [SMTP:**********]
Reason: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 451 ********** - You have been greylisted, please try later

1)

Am I right in thinking this is a message sent back to MailEnable from the recipient's email server?

2)

It doesn't mentioned any attempts to resend and I've read that resending the email again might mean it gets through, as it proves its not a SPAM email. If so is there anyway of setting MailEnable to resend the email again after a set time delay?

3)

Are there any other points I'm missing or need to consider?

Thanks for your help and thoughts... Ben.
BenVic

Postby robertw » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi,
Greylisting is when a mailserver rejects your emails as an anti-spam measure.

It takes note of your IP address or mailserver name, and does not accept mail from you for a certain period of time, a few hours maybe.

It goes on the idea that if your a real email server you will try again for a day or so. If your a spammer, then you will give up trying to send email after a few hours.

Welcome to the secret society of SMTP wranglers.
robertw

Postby BenVic » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

robertw wrote:Hi,
Greylisting is when a mailserver rejects your emails as an anti-spam measure.

It takes note of your IP address or mailserver name, and does not accept mail from you for a certain period of time, a few hours maybe.

It goes on the idea that if your a real email server you will try again for a day or so. If your a spammer, then you will give up trying to send email after a few hours.

Welcome to the secret society of SMTP wranglers.

Thanks for the info RobertW - I'm glad its not necessarilly a problem my end but I guess clients don't see it like that.

So if the client then sends the email again it will hopefully get past the greylist, alternatively I could see if the reciepient of emails can add the IP address to their whitelist?

Thanks again... Ben.
BenVic

Postby Brett Rowbotham » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:53 am

The 451 code is a temporary error so ME should have requeued the message for resending at a later time. On the Delivery tab of SMTP Properties are settings for the length of time between retries and the total time for a send attempt.

Only if the remote server consistently refuses the email (and delivery stretches beyond the total time allowed) or returns a permanent failure code (in the 500 range) will the email send be cancelled and a Non Delivery Report will be returned. What you are seeing at the moment is just a courtesy message to say that the email did not go through immediately.
Brett Rowbotham

Postby BenVic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am

Brett Rowbotham wrote:The 451 code is a temporary error so ME should have requeued the message for resending at a later time. On the Delivery tab of SMTP Properties are settings for the length of time between retries and the total time for a send attempt.

Only if the remote server consistently refuses the email (and delivery stretches beyond the total time allowed) or returns a permanent failure code (in the 500 range) will the email send be cancelled and a Non Delivery Report will be returned. What you are seeing at the moment is just a courtesy message to say that the email did not go through immediately.

Thanks Brett, you've both been good help.
BenVic

Return to MailEnable Standard Edition