MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

MXScan for Mailenable (AntiVirus and AntiSpam Plugin)

Postby polarisie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi

I have received a fair number of questions and downloads for MxScan and also some very good feedback from the initial batch of users. I would like to use this thread to consolidate any future questions and posts regarding MxScan.

To kick this off :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MXscan version 1.1.0 (Jan 19, 2008) has just been been released and it is available free of charge for private, non-profit, and educational use. Downloads are available from http://www.mxuptime.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is MxScan?

MXSCAN is an email security tool used to identify spam and virus emails. Built on top of the .NET 2.0 platform and designed to work with open source software such as ClamAV, SpamAssassin, DCC + MessageSniffer(commercial) to provide a cost effective way to eliminate viruses and spam. It utilizes a combination of AntiSpam checks in a weighted score system in order to classify emails into different levels of spam.

The solution consists of 2 main parts. A very lightweight MTA Plugin (MxScanME.exe) and the main scanning engine (MxScanEngine.exe) which runs as a Windows Service that processes the emails before returning it for normal processing. This biggest advantage of this model is that it provides a high level of compatibility, has better performance and lower CPU cycles compared to traditional filtering engines that do not use a Windows service.

Notes:

If you have any problems running the software and general feedback please let me know.

Known Issues:

I have had some feedback from users with problems running the installation on certain Operating systems. So far i have tested it out successfully on the following platforms (all versions of Windows XP 32 bit, Windows Server 2003 32bit and 64bit, Windows Vista 32 bit and Windows Server 2008 32 bit RC). It might also work on other platforms but might require additional testing. I will update this as soon as additional platforms are tested

djc
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am

Postby djc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:59 am

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the lite version.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening. The message transaction log shows 0 messages have been processed.

I downloaded both hot fixes, however the same problem remains.

The MTA event is enabled and the ScanEngine service is started.

Does this not run on Standard edition?

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby polarisie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 am

djc wrote:Hello,

I downloaded and installed the lite version.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening. The message transaction log shows 0 messages have been processed.

I downloaded both hot fixes, however the same problem remains.

The MTA event is enabled and the ScanEngine service is started.

Does this not run on Standard edition?


A couple of things to check and questions

1. Are you running any other MTA events?
2. Is the MxScan MTA Event enabled? If not enabled it
3. MxScanEngine Service running? If not Start it
4. VIEW-> ACTIVITY Monitor . What does it show?. As long as its enabled the Activity Monitor will show what is going on . (However for this to work you must leave the default LOG LEVEL = None)
5. Yes it runs on Standard as long as the OS is XP, 2003 and 2008. What OS are you running on?
6. There should be some logs under the \LOGS folder. If you can have the mxscan-service*.log zipped and sent to me then i should be able to tell whats wrong.

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)
Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.
Visit www.mxuptime.com

djc
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am

Postby djc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:52 am

Hello,

Thank you for responding so quickly. Please see my answers to your questions below.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

djc wrote:
Hello,

I downloaded and installed the lite version.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening. The message transaction log shows 0 messages have been processed.

I downloaded both hot fixes, however the same problem remains.

The MTA event is enabled and the ScanEngine service is started.

Does this not run on Standard edition?


A couple of things to check and questions

1. Are you running any other MTA events?
2. Is the MxScan MTA Event enabled? If not enabled it
3. MxScanEngine Service running? If not Start it
4. VIEW-> ACTIVITY Monitor . What does it show?. As long as its enabled the Activity Monitor will show what is going on . (However for this to work you must leave the default LOG LEVEL = None)
5. Yes it runs on Standard as long as the OS is XP, 2003 and 2008. What OS are you running on?
6. There should be some logs under the \LOGS folder. If you can have the mxscan-service*.log zipped and sent to me then i should be able to tell whats wrong.


1. no
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. if log level = none; says 'logging disabled'
if log level = log; = 'start inbound process monitor' nothing after that.
5: 2003 server
6. ok sending to your email address.

Mailenable shows this in the MTA debug log:


01/24/08 20:47:18 Processing file 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI from queue SMTP
01/24/08 20:47:18 MTADeliverMessage::Pre Pickup Event executing: CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd" 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI SMTP
01/24/08 20:47:18 MTADeliverMessage::Failed to execute Pickup Event Error:5 (CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd" 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI SMTP)
01/24/08 20:47:18 ME-MTA-022: Antivirus and other filters were bypassed because you are not licensed to use them. Please run your diagnostic report for more information.
01/24/08 20:47:18 ME-MTA-ROUTE [61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI] from [SMTP] Connector queued to [SF] Connector as [BA38994861124391978A0C92C00298D4.MAI]



[/quote]

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby polarisie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:16 am

djc wrote:Hello,

Thank you for responding so quickly. Please see my answers to your questions below.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

djc wrote:
Hello,

I downloaded and installed the lite version.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to be happening. The message transaction log shows 0 messages have been processed.

I downloaded both hot fixes, however the same problem remains.

The MTA event is enabled and the ScanEngine service is started.

Does this not run on Standard edition?


A couple of things to check and questions

1. Are you running any other MTA events?
2. Is the MxScan MTA Event enabled? If not enabled it
3. MxScanEngine Service running? If not Start it
4. VIEW-> ACTIVITY Monitor . What does it show?. As long as its enabled the Activity Monitor will show what is going on . (However for this to work you must leave the default LOG LEVEL = None)
5. Yes it runs on Standard as long as the OS is XP, 2003 and 2008. What OS are you running on?
6. There should be some logs under the \LOGS folder. If you can have the mxscan-service*.log zipped and sent to me then i should be able to tell whats wrong.


1. no
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. if log level = none; says 'logging disabled'
if log level = log; = 'start inbound process monitor' nothing after that.
5: 2003 server
6. ok sending to your email address.

Mailenable shows this in the MTA debug log:


01/24/08 20:47:18 Processing file 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI from queue SMTP
01/24/08 20:47:18 MTADeliverMessage::Pre Pickup Event executing: CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd" 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI SMTP
01/24/08 20:47:18 MTADeliverMessage::Failed to execute Pickup Event Error:5 (CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd" 61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI SMTP)
01/24/08 20:47:18 ME-MTA-022: Antivirus and other filters were bypassed because you are not licensed to use them. Please run your diagnostic report for more information.
01/24/08 20:47:18 ME-MTA-ROUTE [61672266C50947099A8D454A747D5745.MAI] from [SMTP] Connector queued to [SF] Connector as [BA38994861124391978A0C92C00298D4.MAI]



[/quote]

For the logs it does appear that you have use or have some settings from a previous MTA event. If you do not already have an MTA event, can you reset your Mailenable MTA event to the following

C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScanME.exe

Enabled the MTA event then restart it and let me know if this helps
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

djc
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am

Postby djc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 am

The current MTA pickup event is:

CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd"

I have changed it to:

C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScanME.exe

I sent myself a test email and the activity monitor showed it doing whatever it is that it does and the message log now shows 1 message processed.

It appears to be working now!

Thank you again for your timely assistance. I'll keep in touch and share my experiences.

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby polarisie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 am

djc wrote:The current MTA pickup event is:

CMD /C "C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScan_ME.cmd"

I have changed it to:

C:\Program Files\MxUptime\MxScanME\MxScanME.exe

I sent myself a test email and the activity monitor showed it doing whatever it is that it does and the message log now shows 1 message processed.

It appears to be working now!

Thank you again for your timely assistance. I'll keep in touch and share my experiences.


Not a problem. I will make some changes to the installer to take into account the issue you encountered.

Thanks for the feedback
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

wojtaz
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

AntiVirus problem

Postby wojtaz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi

i've a lite version of MXScan for ME but an av seems not working

looking to the log file:
ClamAVDeamon started
Clam Vesrsion response: ....

but later on... "ClamDScan disabled for mydomain.com"

looks like av is not working. Any ideas ??

got 3 domains in one postoffice in ME

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Re: AntiVirus problem

Postby polarisie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm

wojtaz wrote:Hi

i've a lite version of MXScan for ME but an av seems not working

looking to the log file:
ClamAVDeamon started
Clam Vesrsion response: ....

but later on... "ClamDScan disabled for mydomain.com"

looks like av is not working. Any ideas ??

got 3 domains in one postoffice in ME


Have you tried restarting the server and mxscanEngine service?

If that does not help, then zip up your logs (mxscan-service_xxxxx.log) and send them to me, I should be able to narrow it down.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

wojtaz
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

Re: AntiVirus problem

Postby wojtaz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm

polarisie wrote:
wojtaz wrote:Hi

i've a lite version of MXScan for ME but an av seems not working

looking to the log file:
ClamAVDeamon started
Clam Vesrsion response: ....

but later on... "ClamDScan disabled for mydomain.com"

looks like av is not working. Any ideas ??

got 3 domains in one postoffice in ME


Have you tried restarting the server and mxscanEngine service?

If that does not help, then zip up your logs (mxscan-service_xxxxx.log) and send them to me, I should be able to narrow it down.



server restarted, MXscan service restarted ... nothing's changed... still not working

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby polarisie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm

Send me the log files then. contact details can be found on my site
Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby polarisie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:08 pm

polarisie wrote:Send me the log files then. contact details can be found on my site
Cheers


Ok, i got the logs file. Can you try downloading the latest patch for the MxScanEngine service at http://www.mxuptime.com/download/MxScanEngine.exe

You will need to stop the service, replace the file and start the service back

Cheers
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

wojtaz
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

Postby wojtaz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:29 pm

polarisie wrote:Ok, i got the logs file. Can you try downloading the latest patch for the MxScanEngine service at http://www.mxuptime.com/download/MxScanEngine.exe

You will need to stop the service, replace the file and start the service back

Cheers



looks like the patch fix the problem

thanks for help

wojtaz
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 am

queue

Postby wojtaz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 pm

another day and another problem...

expiriencing some problems with queue... got 2500 msgs in queue since yesterday!!

have no idea why but that's funny cause i think that the queue starts grow after AV starts working
i think that av scanning takes too much time so the queue grows

polarisie
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:58 pm

Re: queue

Postby polarisie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:24 pm

wojtaz wrote:another day and another problem...

expiriencing some problems with queue... got 2500 msgs in queue since yesterday!!

have no idea why but that's funny cause i think that the queue starts grow after AV starts working
i think that av scanning takes too much time so the queue grows


If AV is giving you problems, you can disable the ClamAV for now and just use the SpamFilter. This will allow the the system to clear the processing queue. I noted in your previous logs that the spam scanning was processed correctly.

If you send me your latest log files, i will look into this.
MXSCAN :: AntiSpam & AntiVirus for MailEnable (now with Spamtrap/Honeypot!)

Built-in SpamAssassin, Clam, MessageSniffer, DNSBL, URLBL, DCC, Senderbase, SpamTrap, ShortCircuit, Content Filters, Disclamers, Archiving and more.

Visit www.mxuptime.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest