locked mailbox

siteffect

locked mailbox

Postby siteffect » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi all, we are continiously having locked mailboxes due to intrusion attempts.
Is there any quick way to see why a mailbox has been locked ? i know it's due to 3 failed login attemps, but can I easily find what IP actually locked the mailbox ?
I looked through the pop / smtp / imap log files, but this is not easy. Any tool available or maybe a suggestion for future versions to have a button next to the unlock mailbox button to see why it was locked (with details of failed attempts) ?
thanks

rfwilliams777

Re: locked mailbox

Postby rfwilliams777 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

If you can track down the IP address or better yet a group of the same IP addresses, you can set up a windows firewall to block a whole class C or even higher. However, please note that if you attempt to block valid IP addresses of servers or people who use your services (for example your server is in the US, you send/receive often in the US, your users are in the US, and the hackers are in the US) then you may do a false block.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and get your first 2 months FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

cfdynamics

Postby cfdynamics » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 pm

We like to use the other abuse prevention option. It blocks the IP being used for a temporary amount of time instead of locking the mailbox. this makes it so the actual owner of the mailbox does not get blocked.

siteffect

Postby siteffect » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:06 am

can you tell me how & where you change that option ?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 am

Hi,

can you tell me how & where you change that option ?

http://www.mailenable.com/documentation/9.0/Enterprise/Localhost_-_Policies.html - Abuse detection and prevention option
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support