Over 600K spam emails

afking

Over 600K spam emails

Postby afking » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 am

Since Mar 30, our server was boomed by almost one million emails, it appears that those emails use our server as relay and to boom many email accounts with a @yahoo.com.ph and *yahoo.com.tw address.

I have to stop the server and rename the SMTP outgoing queue folder, then manually block those IP that keep sending us emails.

Look like this hacking email can by pass out security and from the log they do not need to log into our server and the relay just process automatically. I did not change any setting except have try to allow the Facebook login. Still don't know if it is some wrong setting on the Facebook login method, so on April 3, I quickly disable the Facebook login method also. But as these hacking email already create a hug back log of emails, plus many thousand email was bounced back from these @yahoo.com.ph and @yahoo.com.tw addresses, so just the SMTP log file each day for that 4 days are between 389M to 1.4G size. So it is impossible for me to browse through the log file manually.

What I manage to do is to extra the very first few minutes log file and see if any of you can figure out what has happen. Our server was updated to version 9.72 on April 3, and in the beginning I thought may be there are bugs in the new version as the server take forever to restart. Only later I found out that there were over 600,000 emails in the SMTP outgoing queue folder. :evil: :evil:
Attachments
spam log.jpg
spam log.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 565 times

rfwilliams777

Re: Over 600K spam emails

Postby rfwilliams777 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:51 am

There are number of slight changes we can make and also stop those 600K messages for you.
Robert Williams, Owner
www.WWSHosting.net
#1 in MailEnable Business-Class Email Hosting - Switch to Williams Web Solutions and get your first 2 months FREE!
We can be hired to help you with your Mail Enable server, too!

afking

Re: Over 600K spam emails

Postby afking » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 am

Since then no more email bombing but I dare not enable the facebook log in method again.