Spam Filtering Intermittent Failures after upgrade to 9.74

dbly
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Spam Filtering Intermittent Failures after upgrade to 9.74

Postby dbly » Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 pm

After upgrading to 9.74 a week or so ago I have noticed filtering such as SpamAssassin integration failing after a few days.

I run a separate spamassassin server under Ubuntu. I monitor the Spamassassin server with nagios, and I can run spamc from my workstation to query it and know that it was up and functional during the outages. My only external indication of a failure is when spam starts showing up in my inbox.

In the MTA logs I don't find any errors, just that the entries for SpamAssassin and "[System Spam Filter]" stop showing up in the MTA-Filter log. Since [System Spam Filter] also stops appearing, I am thinking that it might be more related to filtering in general than spamassassin specific.

If I go into spamassassin configuration and click the "test" button I get a failure, even though a manual check showing spamassassin running. however, stopping and restarting the MTA service makes it work again.

Has anybody else seen any failures like this, or have recommendations as to where to start looking? Unlike other services there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the level of logging through the GUI interface.

dbly
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Spam Filtering Intermittent Failures after upgrade to 9.74

Postby dbly » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Since nobody has replied, for now I have set up a scheduled task to recycle the MTA service daily in hopes that it is a memory or resource leak causing the problem and will wait for the next version.

If you are running with SpamAssassin integration you might want to check your own setups to make sure that it is functioning. Mine seems to run for about 4 days before silently failing.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 4 guests