Is it possible to install MailEnable on local machine and use it as SMTP mail server?

ZKM128

Is it possible to install MailEnable on local machine and use it as SMTP mail server?

Postby ZKM128 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 am

Hello,

I have been using MailEnable mail server in the past 7 years on Windows VPS and I really love it.
Last year I have changed my VPS server provider to Microsoft Azure. Then I started to see 'emails don't reach recipient' problems - all emails sent out from the MS Azure VPS machine got blocked by the most of the popular email providers - outlook.com / gmail.com etc. I have contacted MS Azure support team and they replied to me and said I need to find a 3rd party SMTP server for sending out emails.
So I stopped using MailEnable SMTP server which I have installed on the Windows VPS machine and started using sendgrid.com SMTP server (free SMTP server) service but it has a lot of limitations.

My question is, probably it may sound very stupid but,
Is it possible to install MailEnable server on my local (home) Windows 10 Pro PC and use the MailEnable SMTP server for sending out emails?
I mean, can I simply assign the dynamic IP address assigned to my home PC by my ISP (IINET Australia) in the MailEnable settings and specify SMTP address as 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' in classic ASP or .NET web.config and send out emails? If this is possible would emails sent out using this method get blocked by popular email providers - outlook.com / gmail.com?

Thank you.

myourchisin

Re: Is it possible to install MailEnable on local machine and use it as SMTP mail server?

Postby myourchisin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm confused as to why the software ME standard is not working on your Azure VPS server. Sounds like a miss-configuration, or Azure support not giving accurate information to you.

I currently manage 3 VPS cloud servers through 1&1 internet one of which, (sometimes all 3 at once), is hosting ME 9.62 Standard for personal E-mail, and I've not had any unsolvable issues. This is even while forwarding and send through Gmail with TLS. There will be times I get send issues, but this is usually due to the hosting provider having dirty/poisoned IPs in my pool. Simply calling my host's Network support and bothering them for 10 minutes or so to do their job gets the issues resolved.

Did you happen to look at MXToolbox.com, DNSStuff.com, or Senderbase.com and check your VPS IP reputation?
I would start there as it's likely the culprit for NDR's, and the larger E-mail hosts not accepting your E-mail

There are also standards to mail flow, do you have an SPF record, RDNS, and DKIM implemented on your domain?
Once you get past the basics of SMTP mail flow a lot of send/receive issues can be resolved rather easily.

ZKM128

Re: Is it possible to install MailEnable on local machine and use it as SMTP mail server?

Postby ZKM128 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:16 am

Hello,
Thank you for your support.
In fact I have paid monthly support fees to the Azure technicians for helping me with the Azure virtual machine setup and I have asked them why all of the emails that I have sent out using the mailenable server installed on the Azure virtual machine get blocked or end up in the junk mail folder.
One of the paid Azure technician told me that ANY emails sent out using any SMTP mail servers installed on the AZURE virtual machines will get blocked by most email providers (outlook.com gmail.com etc.) and told me that I need to use external/third party SMTP mail server for sending emails and suggested me to smarthost out the smtp mail server. He didn't specify exactly why the emails will get blocked but I think the reason could be because of the way AZURE virtual machines use resources, cloud networking perhaps, I really don't know why.

myourchisin

Postby myourchisin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 pm

That's interestingly odd..

Sounds to me like they are protecting their IP pools from the possibility of users setting up scam/SPAM mail servers.

I don't know if you're interested, but I've been running VPS could servers with 1&1 for over 2 years now. IT works well for mail servers, and it's scalable. I will say there was a little bit of a rough patch in the beginning due to IP reputation, but nothing that wasn't overcome with a few phone calls to Tech support.

ZKM128

Postby ZKM128 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 am

Yes, I think I will have to purchase another low cost VPS service for the SMTP server installation.
Thank you for your comment myourchisin,