How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

RomIII

How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

Postby RomIII » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Lately we've been getting hit with alot of emails that show ourselves as the sender (My favorites are ones to me from me). Is it possible to block emails that the displayed from doesn't match the actual from address?

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Re: How/Can you block spoofed email addresses

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 am

Hi,

You need to enable the SMTP security option "Authenticated senders can spoof sender addresses" located within the "Address Spoofing" properties under the SMTP "Security" tab. This will enforce any local address that is sending to another local address your server to authenticate.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

RomIII

Postby RomIII » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Sorry should have been more clear. These arent coming from our server, these are coming in from other servers showing as coming from us, I'm assuming someone somewhere with our email in their contacts got a virus or something. Our server has spoofing off already, these come in showing from my email but are actually coming from "Myname@privateemail123.com" or some other garbage yahoo address.

It actually did say my email in the from but if you say hit reply you see the actual fake email.

MailEnable-Ian
Site Admin

Postby MailEnable-Ian » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:21 am

Hi,

The only way to stop or mark messages with the FROM header of the message that is spoofed is either:

1. Upgrading to Professional or Enterprise and increasing the weighting value for the criteria: Envelope sender does not match header sender so that the message is marked as spam and moved to Junk.
2. Looking into a third party MTA pickup event that has the functionality to stop these types of spam messages.
Regards,

Ian Margarone
MailEnable Support

ephraimdov

Postby ephraimdov » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 am

You can report a phishing scam attempt to the company that is being spoofed.

Don't click on any links, open attachments, or expand any included pictures

You can also send reports to the Federal Trade Commission(forward the e-mail to the FTC, spam@uce.gov).

Don't try to reply to the sender

Delete the email from your computer

You can send details to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, which is building a database of common scams to which people can refer.

More about....phishing

http://net-informations.com/q/mis/phishing.html

Dov